Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Tipperary.
ContentCLOGHPRIOR, a parish in the barony of LOWER ORMOND, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 4 miles (S.W) from Burrisokane; containing 1452 inhabitants.
This parish is situated near the river Shannon, and on the high road from Nenagh to Burrisokane, and comprises 3532 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £3,083 per annum. About 480 acres are common, there is a very small portion of bog, and the remainder, by far the greater portion is arable and under tillage; the soil is light and rests on a substratum of limestone.
The gentlemen's seats are Ashley Park, the residence of G. Atkinson Esq., Prior Park of W. Waller, Esq., both richly planted demesnes; East Prospect of J. S. Handcock, Esq.; and Carney Castle, of A. French, Esq. The last is amodern handsome house on part of the site of the ancient castle, now in ruins and formerly, for many years the residence of the Grace family; it was attacked by Cromwell, and becoming forfeited was re-purchased by the same family, and has descended by inheritance to its present proprietor.
The parish is in the diocese of Killaloe and is a rectory and vicarage, forming part of the union of Finnoe; the tithes amount to £212 6s. and 2d.
In the Roman Catholic divisions it is part of the union or district of Cloghjordan.
There is a pay school, in which are about 80 boys and 40 girls.
There are some slight remains of a religious foundation, probably of a priory, from which the parish may have taken its name, but no record of it is extant.