Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Tyrone.
ContentDRUMRAGH, a parish, in the barony of OMAGH, county of TYRONE, and province of ULSTER, on the mail coach road from Dublin to Londonderry city; containing, with the post-town of Omagh, 11,289 inhabitants.
It comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 20,164 statute acres, of which 161.75 are under water, and 15,630 are applotted under the tithe act. About seven eighths of the land are arable and pasture, and one-eighth waste and bog: the land in the middle portion of the parish is very good, and under a tolerable system of cultivation; but the higher grounds, approaching the monntains, are wet and cold, though capable of great improvement by draining. The inhabitants unite the spinning of linen yarn and the weaving of cloth with their agricultural pursuits.
There are several large and handsome houses in and around Omagh : the principal in the rural portion of the parish are New Grove, the residence of Sam. Galbraith, Esq. ; and Riverland, of the Rev. Robert Burrowes, D.D.
A court baron is held at Ballynahatty, every third Wednesday, for the manor of Touchet (anciently called Fintonagh), for the recovery of debts under 40s.
The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Derry , and in the patronage of the Provost and Fellows of Trinity College, Dublin. The tithes amount to £600. The glebe-house is situated five miles from the church, upon a glebe comprising 550 acres. The church, situated in Omagh, a large handsome edifice, with a tower and spire, which were added at the expense of Dr. Knox, Bishop of Derry, was erected in 1777 by the Mervyn family, and was greatly enlarged in 1820.
The Roman Catholic parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church: there is a chapel at Omagh, and another at Drumragh.
There are places of worship for Presbyterians, in connection with the Synod of Ulster, of the first and third classes, and of the second class, in connection with the Seceding Synod; also for Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists.
About 400 children are taught in the seven public schools of the parish, of which one is endowed with a house and 2 acres of land, and one for girls is supported by Mrs. Spiller; there are also eleven private schools, in which are about 450 children, and eight Sunday schools. The old parish church on is now a fine ruin, having the side walls and gables entire.