Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Waterford.
ContentBALLYGUNNER, a parish in the barony of GAULTIER, county of WATERFORD, and province of MUNSTER, 3 miles (E.S.E.)from Waterford; containing 709 inhabitants.
This parish is situated in the road from Waterford, which here divides into two branches leading respectively to Passage and Tramore ; it comprises 1369 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. Near the point where the road divides is a stone which is supposed to have been part of an ancient cromlech, from which circumstance the adjacent house, belonging to Mr. Reynett, derived its appellation Mount Druid. A constabulary police station has been established, and petty sessions for the division are held every fortnight, at Callaghan, in this parish.
It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Waterford, and is part of the union of Ballynakill; the rectory is appropriate to the Dean and Chapter of the cathedral church of Waterford. The tithes amount to £157.7s.4d., of which £92.19s.8d., is payable to the dean and chapter, and £64.8s. 1d., to the vicar.
In the Roman Catholic divisions it forms part of the union or district of Trinity Within and St. John, Waterford, and contains a chapel. A school is supported by an annual donation of £21 from ???? Fitzgerald, Esq.