Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary, Co. Waterford

Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Waterford.


  • Place
    Diocese Of Lismore
  • County
    Tipperary
  • Parish
  • Content
    The SEE of LISMORE, soon after the arrival of the English, was enlarged by the annexation of the ancient see of Ardmore. Bishop Felix, who succeeded to the prelacy in 1179 gave the church of St. John to the abbey of Thomas-court, near Dublin ; and from this time fierce disputes were carried on between the prelates of this see and the bishops of Waterford, which were frequently renewed and continued by several of his successors, till 1358, when, during the prelacy of Bishop Reve, the two sees were united, and continued to be held as one by Thomas Le Reve, bishop of Lismore and Waterford, and by his successors till the passing of the Church Temporalities' Act, in the 3rd and 4th of Wm. IV., when, on the decease of Dr. Bourke, both were annexed to the archiepiscopal see of Cashel, and the temporalities became vested in the Ecclesiastical Commissioners.

    Lismore is one of the eleven dioceses which constitute the ecclesiastical province of Cashel : it includes the greater part of the county of Waterford and part of county Tipperary, extending 38 miles in length and 37 in breadth, and comprising an estimated superficies of 323,500 acres, of which 92,000 are in Tipperary and a the remainder in Waterford ; the lands belonging to the see and its gross revenue are comprised in the return for the see of Waterford.

    The chapter consists of a dean, precentor, chancellor, treasurer, archdeacon, and the prebendaries of Tulloghorton, Dysart, Donoughmore, Kilrossanty, Modeligo, Kilgobinet, Seskinan, and Clashmore. There are five vicars choral, who were first instituted by Bishop Christopher about the year 1230, and are all appointed by the dean, who has a peculiar jurisdiction over the parishes of Lismore, Tallow, and Macollop during eleven months of the year, till inhibited by the bishop, a month before the episcopal visitation; he has also a right to appoint a registrar, and can grant licences under his own consistorial seal ; the deanery, it is said, may be held by a layman. There are comprehended in the see the rural deaneries of Lismore, Whitechurch, Dungarvan, Carrick, Clonmel, and Cahir.

    The number of parishes in the diocese is 76, comprised in 43 benefices, of which 53 are unions of two or more parishes, and 20 single parishes ; of these, 6 are in the patronage of the Crown, 26 in that of the Archbishop of Cashel, and the remainder in lay patronage. There are in the diocese 36 churches, and one other episcopal place of worship, and 15 glebe-houses.

    In the Roman Catholic divisions the diocese is united with that of Waterford, together forming one of the seven bishopricks suffragan to the archiepiscopal see of Cashel : it contains 65 chapels ; the number of parochial benefices and clergy is stated in the account of the see of Waterford.
  • Place
    Diocese Of Lismore
  • County
    Waterford
  • Parish
  • Content
    The SEE of LISMORE, soon after the arrival of the English, was enlarged by the annexation of the ancient see of Ardmore. Bishop Felix, who succeeded to the prelacy in 1179 gave the church of St. John to the abbey of Thomas-court, near Dublin ; and from this time fierce disputes were carried on between the prelates of this see and the bishops of Waterford, which were frequently renewed and continued by several of his successors, till 1358, when, during the prelacy of Bishop Reve, the two sees were united, and continued to be held as one by Thomas Le Reve, bishop of Lismore and Waterford, and by his successors till the passing of the Church Temporalities' Act, in the 3rd and 4th of Wm. IV., when, on the decease of Dr. Bourke, both were annexed to the archiepiscopal see of Cashel, and the temporalities became vested in the Ecclesiastical Commissioners.

    Lismore is one of the eleven dioceses which constitute the ecclesiastical province of Cashel : it includes the greater part of the county of Waterford and part of county Tipperary, extending 38 miles in length and 37 in breadth, and comprising an estimated superficies of 323,500 acres, of which 92,000 are in Tipperary and a the remainder in Waterford ; the lands belonging to the see and its gross revenue are comprised in the return for the see of Waterford.

    The chapter consists of a dean, precentor, chancellor, treasurer, archdeacon, and the prebendaries of Tulloghorton, Dysart, Donoughmore, Kilrossanty, Modeligo, Kilgobinet, Seskinan, and Clashmore. There are five vicars choral, who were first instituted by Bishop Christopher about the year 1230, and are all appointed by the dean, who has a peculiar jurisdiction over the parishes of Lismore, Tallow, and Macollop during eleven months of the year, till inhibited by the bishop, a month before the episcopal visitation; he has also a right to appoint a registrar, and can grant licences under his own consistorial seal ; the deanery, it is said, may be held by a layman. There are comprehended in the see the rural deaneries of Lismore, Whitechurch, Dungarvan, Carrick, Clonmel, and Cahir.

    The number of parishes in the diocese is 76, comprised in 43 benefices, of which 53 are unions of two or more parishes, and 20 single parishes ; of these, 6 are in the patronage of the Crown, 26 in that of the Archbishop of Cashel, and the remainder in lay patronage. There are in the diocese 36 churches, and one other episcopal place of worship, and 15 glebe-houses.

    In the Roman Catholic divisions the diocese is united with that of Waterford, together forming one of the seven bishopricks suffragan to the archiepiscopal see of Cashel : it contains 65 chapels ; the number of parochial benefices and clergy is stated in the account of the see of Waterford.