Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Waterford.
ContentFAITHLEGG, a parish, in the barony of GAULTIER, county of WATERFORD, and province of MUNSTER, 5 miles (E.) from Waterford, at the confluence of the rivers Suir and Barrow; containing 724 inhabtants.
This parish forms the termination of a promontory commanding a magnificent and highly interesting view, comprehending towards Waterford, the course of the Suir winding between cultivated hills and encircling Little Island with the confluence of the rivers forming an expanse of nearly three miles, terminated in the back ground by Mount Leinster, and on the right by Tory Hill, Slievekielta, and the Wexford mountains. At the extremity of the promontory is the small village of Cheekpoint, formerly the Waterford post-office packet station and the seat of a cotton and a rope manufactory, which since the removal of the packets to Dunmore have been discontinued.
The parish comprises 1291 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act; the system of agriculture is unimproved and there is very little bog. Limestone for burnung, and other manures, are brought hither by means of the Suir ; stone of good quality for building is found in abundance ; and slate and lead ore, with a large proportion of cobalt were procured till lately.
Faithlegg House, the seat of N. Power, Esq., is spacious and situated in a well planted and highly improved demesne commanding a fine view up the river ; Woodlands is the pleasant residence of M. Dobbyn, Esq. ; and Ballycanvan, of R. Morris Esq. A patent exists for fairs, but none have been held for many years.
It is a rectory, in the diocese of Waterford, and forms part of the union of Kill-St. Nicholas: the tithes amount to £100.
In the R. C. divisions, it is part of the union or district of Passage ; the chapel was built at the expense of N. Power, Esq.
About 40 children are taught in a national school in the R. C. chapel, and there are two private schools, in which are about 60 children.
Dr. W. Downes, who was interred in the old church (now in ruins), bequeathed £50 per annum, to be paid to the person employing the greatest number of poor persons in some useful manufature ; and large sums to the Dublin University, to be do "distributed as premiums" among such students as had made the greatest proficiency in theology, and in reading the liturgy of the Established Church with the most impressive solemnity.
There are some remains of an old castle and a rath, near which several cannon balls have been found in turning up the ground ; the former was defended against the forces of Cromwell in 1649, when besieging Waterford, by its proprietor, Aylward, but surrendered to Capt. Bolton, who afterwards obtained possession of the estate, now the property of N. Power, Esq.