Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Waterford.
ContentINNISLONNAGH or ABBEY, a parish, partly in the barony of IFFA and OFFA EAST, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, and partly in that of GLENAHEIRY, county of WATERFORD, 2 miles (W.S.W.) from Clonmel, on the road from Cork to Dublin; containing 4255 inhabitants.
St. Mochoemoc, who died in 655, founded an abbey here, which was refounded by Donald O'Brien, King of Limerick, in 1187, and at the reformation was granted by Queen Elizabeth to Edward Geogh. It is stated to have been a very beautiful building, with a chapel consecrated by St. Patrick; near its ruins is a celebrated holy well. In 1399, John, Earl of Desmond, brought his forces hither, and was met by the Earl of Ormonde and his followers, when these noblemen were reconciled. The parish comprises 8933 statute acres, and the land is generally rich and well cultivated.
The principal seats are Marlfield, the residence of J. Bagwell, Esq., a large and elegant mansion in an extensive and well-wooded demesne, through which the river Suir flows; Oakland, also the property of Mr. Bagwell; Salisbury, the residence of T. Sadlier, Esq.; and Bird Hill, of ???Taylor, Esq.
Fine granite is obtained in the Waterford part of the parish, and limestone in the Tipperary part. At Marlfield is a distillery, and a fair is held in October at Tubberhaney.
The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Lismore, episcopally united in 1815 to the rectory of Monksland, and in the patronage of the Crown: the tithes amount to £576 19s. 3 .50 d., and of the entire benefice to £688 19s. 3 .50 d. There is neither glebe-house nor glebe. The church, which was rebuilt by the present incumbent in 1818, by aid of a loan of £600 from the late Board of First Fruits, is one the site of the ancient abbey, part of which is incorporated in the present building; and the old churchyard remains.
The parochial school is supported by the rector, and a female school is kept by the ladies of the Presentation convent, in which about 640 children are educated; there are also three private schools, in which are about 100 children.