Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary, Co. Waterford

Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Waterford.


  • Place
    Kilsheelan
  • County
    Tipperary
  • Parish
    Kilsheelan
  • Content
    KILSHEELAN a parish, partly in the barony of UPPERTHIRD, county of WATERFORD but chiefly in that of IFFA and OFFA EAST, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 5 miles (W.N.W.) from Carrick-on-Suir, on the road from Clonmel to Waterford; containing 1531 inhabitants, of which number, 283 are in the county of Waterford.

    The village comprises 57 houses and 290 inhabitants, and is a constabulary police station. Here is a bridge over the river Suir.

    The principal seats are Newtown Anner, the residence of Lady Osborne; Landscape, of ?? Congreve, Esq.; and Gurteen, of E. Power, Esq., of which only the stables are yet built. Adjoining the magnificent woods of the demesne, which contains a cromlech, is a large ravine composed of strata of red sandstone, white silicious sandstone, and soft slatey rock, which decomposes into a pure yellow ochreous earth.

    It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Lismore, united to the rectory of Kilmurry, and in the gift of the Marquess of Ormonde, in whom the rectory is impropriate. The tithes amount to £380 11s. 11d, of which £250 7s. 2d., is payable to the vicar, and the remainder to the impropriator; the tithes of the benefice amount to £754 19s. 1d.

    In the Roman Catholic divisions it forms part of the union or district of Kilgrant or Riverstown, and contains a chapel.

    About 80 children are educated in two schools, one of which is principally supported by Lady Osborne. The late W. Power, Esq., of Ballydino, left 30 acres of land and 5,000 pounds for the establishment of an almshouse, which is not yet finished. Here are some remains of the ancient church and of a castle, also a large moat.
  • Place
    Kilsheelan
  • County
    Waterford
  • Parish
    Kilsheelan
  • Content
    KILSHEELAN a parish, partly in the barony of UPPERTHIRD, county of WATERFORD but chiefly in that of IFFA and OFFA EAST, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 5 miles (W.N.W.) from Carrick-on-Suir, on the road from Clonmel to Waterford; containing 1531 inhabitants, of which number, 283 are in the county of Waterford.

    The village comprises 57 houses and 290 inhabitants, and is a constabulary police station. Here is a bridge over the river Suir.

    The principal seats are Newtown Anner, the residence of Lady Osborne; Landscape, of ?? Congreve, Esq.; and Gurteen, of E. Power, Esq., of which only the stables are yet built. Adjoining the magnificent woods of the demesne, which contains a cromlech, is a large ravine composed of strata of red sandstone, white silicious sandstone, and soft slatey rock, which decomposes into a pure yellow ochreous earth.

    It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Lismore, united to the rectory of Kilmurry, and in the gift of the Marquess of Ormonde, in whom the rectory is impropriate. The tithes amount to £380 11s. 11d, of which £250 7s. 2d., is payable to the vicar, and the remainder to the impropriator; the tithes of the benefice amount to £754 19s. 1d.

    In the R.C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Kilgrant or Riverstown, and contains a chapel.

    About 80 children are educated in two schools, one of which is principally supported by Lady Osborne. The late W. Power, Esq., of Ballydino, left 30 acres of land and 5,000 pounds for the establishment of an almshouse, which is not yet finished. Here are some remains of the ancient church and of a castle, also a large moat.