Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Westmeath.
ContentKILCLEAGH, or MOATE, a parish, in the barony of CLONLONAN, county of WESTMEATH, and province of LEINSTER, on the road from Athlone to Dublin ; containing, with the post-town of Moate, 6160 inhabitants.
It comprises 9231 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and is principally grazing land; there is also considerable quantity of bog, and abundance of limestone and brimstone.
The principal seats are Ballymadown, the ancient residence of the Malone family; Castle Daly, the seat of J. M. Daly, Esq. ; Newbridge, of R. Matthews, Esq. ; Moate Castle, of Cuthbert J. Clibborn, Esq. ; and Farnagh, of R. Adamson, Esq.
The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Meath, and in the patronage of the Bishop : the tithes amount to £276. 6s. 11d. The church was built in 1782, enlarged by aid of a gift of £300 and a loan of £500 from the late Board of First Fruits in 1819, and lately repaired by a grant of £228 room the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The glebe-house was purchased in 1819, by aid of a gift of £300 and a loan of £500 from the same Board: the glebe comprises 86 acres.
In the Roman Catholic divisions the parish is in the diocese of Ardagh : part of if forms the district of Moate, in which are two chapels, one there and one at Bogagh ; the other with the parish of Lemonaghan, constitutes that of Ballymahown, in which are also two chapels, one at Ballymahown in this parish.
There is also a meeting-house for the Society of Friends.
About 250 children are educated in four public, and 210 in seven private, schools. Near Farnagh are the ruins of the castle of Clonlonan, which gave name to the Barony.