Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary, Co. Westmeath

Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Westmeath.


  • Place
    Kilcumreagh
  • County
    Offaly, King's County
  • Parish
    Kilcumreagh
  • Content
    KILCUMREAGH, or KILCOMRAGH, a parish, partly in the barony of KILCOURSEY, KING'S county (Offaly), partly in that of CLONLONAN, but chiefly in that of MOYCASHEL, county of WESTMEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 3.50 miles (E. N. E.) from Moat-a-Grenogue, on the road from Dublin to Athlone ; containing 3787 inhabitants.

    This parish comprises 8065 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, with a small quantity of bog and some limestone.

    The seats are Ballintobber, the residence of W. Fetherston-H, Esq. ; Rosemount, of Lady Nagle ; Grouse Lodge, of E. Fetherston-H, Esq. ; and Springfield, of J. Henderson, Esq.

    It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Meath, forming part of the union of Ardnorcher ; the rectory is impropriate in the Marquess of Downshire. The tithes amount to £249. 15s. 8.50d., of which £145. 0s. 7d., is payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the vicar ; there is a glebe of 21 acres.

    In the Roman Catholic divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Kilmanaghan and Kilcumreagh, and has a chapel at Raleigh.

    About 90 children are educated in three private schools. A monastery of Dominican friars was founded at Ballintubber, in 1488, by Edmund de Lantu Laici, which was granted to Henry Matthews at the dissolution. Here are the ruins of a church, and of an old fort; also several raths.
  • Place
    Kilcumreagh
  • County
    Westmeath
  • Parish
    Kilcumreagh
  • Content
    KILCUMREAGH, or KILCOMRAGH, a parish, partly in the barony of KILCOURSEY, KING'S county (Offaly), partly in that of CLONLONAN, but chiefly in that of MOYCASHEL, county of WESTMEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 3.50 miles (E. N. E.) from Moat-a-Grenogue, on the road from Dublin to Athlone ; containing 3787 inhabitants.

    This parish comprises 8065 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, with a small quantity of bog and some limestone.

    The seats are Ballintobber, the residence of W. Fetherston-H, Esq. ; Rosemount, of Lady Nagle ; Grouse Lodge, of E. Fetherston-H, Esq. ; and Springfield, of J. Henderson, Esq.

    It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Meath, forming part of the union of Ardnorcher ; the rectory is impropriate in the Marquess of Downshire. The tithes amount to £249. 15s. 8.50d., of which £145. 0s. 7d., is payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the vicar ; there is a glebe of 21 acres.

    In the Roman Catholic divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Kilmanaghan and Kilcumreagh, and has a chapel at Raleigh.

    About 90 children are educated in three private schools. A monastery of Dominican friars was founded at Ballintubber, in 1488, by Edmund de Lantu Laici, which was granted to Henry Matthews at the dissolution. Here are the ruins of a church, and of an old fort; also several raths.