Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Westmeath.
ContentLYNN, a parish, in the barony of FARTULLAGH, county of WESTMEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 1.75 miles (S. by W.) from Mullingar, on the road to Tyrrel's Pass : containing 1227 inhabitants.
This parish, which is situated on Lough Ennel, and bounded on the west by the river Brosna, comprises 4436 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. The soil is fertile and the land chiefly in pasture ; the system of agriculture is much improved, and that portion which is in tillage produces excellent crops ; there is very little bog and no waste land. Limestone is quarried for agricultural purposes, and there are some quarries of black flagstone of good quality.
The principal seats are Larkfield, the residence of R. Pratt Smith, Esq. ; Vylandstown, or Violetstown, of E. Lewis, Esq.; Lynn Lodge, of R. Swift Esq. ; Lynn House, the property of the same gentleman and the residence of the Rev. G. M. Dennis ; Lynnbury, of R. Bourne, Esq. ; Bloomfield, of the Countess of Belvidere ; and Lamancha, also the property of R. Swift, Esq. Petty sessions are held at Moylisker.
It is a rectory, in the diocese of Meath, and part of the union of Moylisker ; the tithes amount to £180. The glebe comprises 20 acres of profitable land, valued at £46. 3s. 1d., per ann. ; the glebe-house was built in 1813, at an expense of £1055. 18s. 7.50d. (British), of which £200 Irish was a gift, and £500 a loan, from the late Board of First Fruits; the remainder was defrayed by the incumbent.
In the Roman Catholic divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Mullingar ; the chapel is at Gainstown.
At Lynnbury is a day and Sunday school, entirely supported by R. Bourne, Esq. and about 75 children are taught in a school which is held in the chapel. At Kilronan is a large burial-ground ; there are some slight remains of the old church at Lynn, and also of an ancient castle, formerly the residence of the Swift family, and there are numerous raths in the parish.