Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary, Co. Wicklow

Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Wicklow.


  • Place
    Ballinaclash
  • County
    Wicklow
  • Parish
    Ballinaclash
  • Content
    BALLINACLASH, a district parish, in the barony of BALLINACOR, county of WICKLOW, and province of LEINSTER, 2.75 miles (S. W. by S.) from Rathdrum ; containing 3855 inhabitants.

    This district is situated on the river Avonbeg, over which there is a bridge, and on the road from Rathdrum to Glenmalur.

    It is of recent creation as a parish, and comprehends the constablewicks of Ballykine and Ballinacor, forming a perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Dublin and Glendalough, and in the patronage of the Rector of Rathdrum, who pays the curate's stipend. The church, on the townland of Ballinaton, is a neat building with a. square tower, in the later English style of architecture, erected in 1834, at an expense of £900, granted by the Church Temporalities Commission. There is no glebe-house or glebe.

    There are two schools, in the village, one a daily school and the other a Sunday school.