Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Wicklow.
ContentBALLYNURE, a parish, in the barony of LOWER BELFAST, county of ANTRIM, and province of ULSTER, 6 miles (N.W.) from Carrickfergus; containing, with part of the town of Ballyclare, 3549 inhabitants, of which number, 415 are in the village.
This parish, which is situated on the Six-mile-water, and on the road from Carrickfergus to Antrim, comprises, according tothe Ordnance survey, 8540 3/4 statute acres. The soil is fertile, and the lands are generally in a good state of cultivation; the system of agriculture is improving ; there is some waste lands and a considerable tract of bog.
A kind of basaltic stone is quarried and used for building and for repairing the roads. There is an extensive bleach-green, also a large paper-mill, in which the most improved machinery is used for the manufacture of the finer kinds of paper. Fairs for cattle, pigs, and pedlery are held on the 16th of May, Sept. 5th, and Oct. 25th; there are large horse fairs in May and Nov., and also on Christmas-day, at Reagh Hill ; and fairs are also held at Ballyclare. In the village is a constabulary police station; and a manorial court is held every third week by the seneschal, for the recovery of debts to the amount of £10.
The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Connor, united by charter of the 7th of Jas. I. to the vicarages of Kilroot and Templecorran, together constituting the corps of the prebend of Kilroot in the cathedral of Connor : the tithes amount to £330. The church, a plain small edifice, built about the year 1602, is situated near the western extremity of the parish. There is neither glebe nor glebe-house.
In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Larne and Carrickfergus.
There is a place of worship in the village for Presbyterians in connection with the Synod of Ulster, of the second class.
There are three schools, which afford instruction to about 240 children; and four pay schools, in which are about 90 boys and 10 girls. The late Mr. Dobbs, of Castle Dobbs, bequeathed £100 for winter clothing for the poor.
ContentBALLYNURE, a parish, in the barony of UPPER TALBOTSTOWN, county of WICKLOW, and province of LEINSTER, 3 miles (S. W.) from Dunlavin, on the road from Baltinglass to Ballitore ; containing 1874 inhabitants.
It comprises 6932 statute acres, nearly all arable land; the soil is fertile, and the system of agriculture improving. There is neither bog nor waste land; fuel is consequently scarce, and the inhabitants are supplied only from the bog of Narraghmore, which is five miles distant.
Ballynure, the seat of H. Carroll, Esq., is an elegant mansion situated in a rich demesne. Grange-Con, formerly the grange of the abbey of Baltinglass (which, together with this estate, was granted by Queen Elizabeth to Sir J. Harrington), was till lately the residence of H. Harrington, Esq., who erected two spacious galleries for the reception of paintings and curiosities, of which he was an indefatigable collector. The other seats are Knockrigg, the residence of J. Wall, Esq. ; Bessina, of H. Harrington Wall, Esq.; Barronstown. of J. Wilson, Esq. ; and Griffinstown, of W. Cooke, Esq.
A constabulary police force has been stationed at the small village of Bumboa Hall.
It is a rectory, annexed to that of Baltinglass, in the diocese of Leighlin the tithes amount to £300. The church, a small neat edifice with a square tower crowned with pinnacles, was erected by aid of a gift of £800 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1814.
In the R. C. divisions also it is included in the union or district of Baltinglass ; the chapel is at Bumboa Hall, and adjoining it is a school of 84 boys and 50 girls.
In the grounds of Grange-Con are the remains of an ancient castle; there are a rath and an ancient cemetery on the grounds of Knockrigg, And several other raths in different parts of the parish.