Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary, Co. Wicklow

Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Wicklow.


  • Place
    Crosspatrick
  • County
    Wexford
  • Parish
    Crosspatrick
  • Content
    CROSSPATRICK, a parish, partly in the half-barony of SHILLELAGH, county of WICKLOW, and partly in the barony of GOREY, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 3.50 miles (E.) from Tinahely; containing 1119 inhabitants.

    It is situated on the road from Rathdrum to Carnew, and comprises 4058 statute acres, which are chiefly under tillage. The soil is fertile, and agriculture has greatly improved under the auspices of the Agricultural Society established at Coollattin and patronised by Earl Fitzwilliam ; there is a bog at Cammar, and another at Coolafancy.

    The principal seats are Hill View, the residence of Sandham Symes, Esq., and Coolafancy, of Christmas Johnston, Esq., both commanding extensive mountain views ; and there are several respectable farm-houses.

    The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Ferns, united prior to any known record to the rectory of Kilcommon (Ballinacor Barony), which two parishes constitute the union and corps of the prebend of Crosspatrick in the cathedral of Ferns, and in the patronage of the Bishop. The tithes of the parish amount to £217. 16s. 11.25d., and the gross tithes of the benefice to £674. 15s. 5d. There are two churches in the union ; that of Crosspatrick was erected in 1828 by a grant of £900 from the late Board of First Fruits : it is in the later English style of architecture, with a square tower surmounted with pinnacles, and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted seen for its repair.

    In the Roman Catholic divisions this parish forms part of the union or district of Tomacork, also called the union of Carnew and Crosspatrick ; there is a chapel at Coolafancy.

    There is also a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists.

    The parochial school, at Cootroe, is supported by the prebendary, and has an endowment in land valued at £10 per annum by the late Earl Fitzwilliam, who also built the school-house. Near Coolboy is a substantial school-house, which was erected and supported by the same nobleman. A school-house was erected, in 1835, at Logan, by Lord Powerscourt.

    Some remains of the old church are visible near the new building, adjoining which is the burial-ground, used by the Roman Catholics.
  • Place
    Crosspatrick
  • County
    Wicklow
  • Parish
    Crosspatrick
  • Content
    CROSSPATRICK, a parish, partly in the half-barony of SHILLELAGH, county of WICKLOW, and partly in the barony of GOREY, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 3.50 miles (E.) from Tinahely; containing 1119 inhabitants.

    It is situated on the road from Rathdrum to Carnew, and comprises 4058 statute acres, which are chiefly under tillage. The soil is fertile, and agriculture has greatly improved under the auspices of the Agricultural Society established at Coollattin and patronised by Earl Fitzwilliam ; there is a bog at Cammar, and another at Coolafancy.

    The principal seats are Hill View, the residence of Sandham Symes, Esq., and Coolafancy, of Christmas Johnston, Esq., both commanding extensive mountain views ; and there are several respectable farm-houses.

    The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Ferns, united prior to any known record to the rectory of Kilcommon (Ballinacor Barony), which two parishes constitute the union and corps of the prebend of Crosspatrick in the cathedral of Ferns, and in the patronage of the Bishop. The tithes of the parish amount to £217. 16s. 11.25d., and the gross tithes of the benefice to £674. 15s. 5d. There are two churches in the union ; that of Crosspatrick was erected in 1828 by a grant of £900 from the late Board of First Fruits : it is in the later English style of architecture, with a square tower surmounted with pinnacles, and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted seen for its repair.

    In the Roman Catholic divisions this parish forms part of the union or district of Tomacork, also called the union of Carnew and Crosspatrick ; there is a chapel at Coolafancy.

    There is also a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists.

    The parochial school, at Cootroe, is supported by the prebendary, and has an endowment in land valued at £10 per annum by the late Earl Fitzwilliam, who also built the school-house. Near Coolboy is a substantial school-house, which was erected and supported by the same nobleman. A school-house was erected, in 1835, at Logan, by Lord Powerscourt.

    Some remains of the old church are visible near the new building, adjoining which is the burial-ground, used by the Roman Catholics.