Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary, Co. Wicklow

Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Wicklow.


  • Place
    Hollywood
  • County
    Dublin
  • Parish
    Hollywood
  • Content
    HOLLYWOOD, a parish, in the barony of BALROTHERY, county of DUBLIN and province of LEINSTER, 4 miles (S. W.) from Balbriggan, on the road from Dublin City by Naul to Drogheda (Co. Louth) ; containing 1022 inhabitants.

    This parish, with respect to its agriculture, is in an unimproved state, though good limestone for burning exists near the ruins of its ancient church ; there is also a quarry of black slate near Malahow.

    The principal seats are Malahow House, the residence Rev, T. Baker ; and Malahow, of T. Cosgrave, Esq from both of which are extensive views, and also from the Roman Catholic parochial house at Damastown, embracing an extensive tract of country towards Dublin, backed by the Dublin and Wicklow mountains.

    The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Dublin, episcopally united to the vicarages of Naul and Grallagh, and in the patronage of the Marquess of Drogheda ; the rectory is impropriate in W. D. Pollard, Esq., and Capt. G. Pepper. The tithes amount to £229.1s 9d., of which £151.14s.4d., is payable to the improprietors, and the remainder to the vicar ; and the vicarial tithes of the whole union amount to £92. 8s.11d. The glebe-house was built by a gift of £369 and a loan of the same amount from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1829 ; the glebe comprises 6 acres.

    In the Roman Catholic divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Naul or Damastown ; the chapel at Damastown is a neat edifice, and near it is the parochial house for the R. C. clergyman, erected in 1833, at an expense of £500; there is a private school, in which are about 20 children.

    On levelling a hill near the ruins of the old church, in 1833, several urns containing ashes were found, about six feet below the surface. Near the spot is an extensive moat, or rath. There is a holy well, dedicated to St. Kennett.
  • Place
    Hollywood
  • County
    Wicklow
  • Parish
    Hollywood
  • Content
    HOLLYWOOD, a parish, in the barony of LOWER TALBOTSTOWN, county of WICKLOW, and province of LEINSTER, 5 miles (S. S. W.) from Blessington, on the mail coach road from Dublin city to Baltinglass and Tullow ; containing 2850 inhabitants, of whirch number, 161 are in the village.

    This parish, which is situated on the river Liffey, is for civil purposes divided into two parishes, called respectively Hollywood Boleys and Hollywood Lowlands, the former containing 1550, and the latter 1300 inhabitants. It comprises 18,000 statute acres, of which a very large proportion is waste and the remainder in pasture and under tillage, in nearly equal portions. The surface is mountainous and heathy, and the soil very various ; there is a considerable tract of bog, and under a better system of agriculture a great part of the waste land might be brought into profitable cultivation.

    Tyrone Lodge, the property of Lord William Beresford, was burnt by the insurgents in 1798, and has not been rebuilt ; the demesne is finely wooded and contains a picturesque glen. One side of the celebrated waterfall of Pool-a-Phuca, is within this parish.

    The village contains 27 houses ; and fairs are held on Feb 1st, May 3rd, Aug. lst, and Nov. 1st.

    The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Dublin, and in the patronage of the Archbishop : the tithes amount to £172. 6s. 6d. The glebe-house was built by a gift of £300 and a loan of £300 from the late Board of First Fruits ; the glebe comprises 20 acres. The church, a small edifice without tower or spire, has a stone roof neatly groined, and some handsome stained glass presented by the Marquess of Waterford.

    In the Roman Catholic divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Ballymore-Eustace ; the chapel is a neat and spacious edifice, erected in 1831.

    About 100 children are taught in the parochial school, which is supported by subscription, aided by the rector ; and there are four private schools, in which are about 140 children. In Hollywood glen, which is about a mile in length and remarkable for its wild and romantic scenery is a very curious sepulchre.