Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Wicklow.
ContentKILBRIDE, a parish, in the barony of ARKLOW, county of WICKLOW, and province of LEINSTER, 2 miles (N. by W.) from Arklow, on the river Ovoca, and the road to Wicklow town; containing 1192 inhabitants.
It lies on the coast, and is generally under a good state of cultivation. Near the mouth of the Ovoca is a coast-guard station.
Shelton Abbey, the splendid seat of the Earl of Wicklow, described in the article on Arklow, is partly within its limits ; and there are several good residences, of which the principal are Sleepwalk, that of T. Murray, Esq. ; Seabank, of R. Hudson, Esq. ; Ballymoney, of the Rev. M. J. Mayers ; and Killiniskyduff, of M. Hudson, Esq.
The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Dublin and Glendalough, previously to 1833 a part of the union of Arklow, and now united with the vicarages of Enorely and Templemichael ; together constituting the union of Kilbride, in the patronage of the Archbishop. The tithes of the parish amount to £200. 6s. 2d. The church, erected in 1834, at the expense of the Earl of Wicklow, is a handsome structure, in the later English style, with a square embattled tower crowned with pinnacles.
In the Roman Catholic divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Newbridge and Baranisky ; the chapel is a neat and spacious edifice.
About 510 children are taught in the public schools, of which the parochial male and female schools are supported by the Earl and Countess of Wicklow ; and there are two infants' schools, one supported by the Countess, and the other by the Rev. M. J. Mayers, the present incumbent; also a Sunday school. The ruins of the old church are on an eminence commanding a fine view of the town and bridge of Arklow, a great expanse of sea, the demesne of Shelton Abbey, and the woods of Glenart. In the churchyard is a mausoleum of the Howard family; there is also an ancient burial-place at Templereeny.