Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Wicklow.
ContentKILCOMMON, a parish, In the barony of BALLINACOR, county of WICKLOW and province of LEINSTER; containing, with the post-town of Tinahely, 3470 inhabitants.
It comprises 11,119 acres of moderately fertile land, in a good state of cultivation, the system of agriculture having been greatly improved under the influence of the Shillelagh Agricultural Society : there are some mountain land and peat bog.
The principal seats are Ballybeg, the residence of Mrs. Symes ; Rockingham, of the Rev. W. Barber ; Town View, of H. Morton, Esq. ; Ballyshonogue, of R. Bates, Esq.. ; and the residence of the parish priest, which was built by Earl Fitzwilliam.
The parish is in the diocese of Ferns, and is a rectory, forming part of the union and prebend of Crosspatrick in the cathedral of Ferns : the tithes amount to £456. 18s. 5 .75 d. The church, a neat building, was enlarged in 1830, for which the late Board of First Ernits granted a loan of £700.
In the Roman Catholic divisions it is the head of a union or district, comprising the parishes of Kilcommon, Preban, and Kilpipe, and called Killavany and Tinahely : there are chapels at Killavany and Crossbridge, both of which were erected by Earl Fitzwilliam.
About 90 children are educated in a public school, to which Earl Fitzwilliam subscribes £6 annually, and about the same number in a private school.