Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Wicklow.
ContentPREBAN, or PREBAWN, a parish, in the barony of BALLINACOR, county of WICKLOW, and province of LEINSTER,4 miles (N. W.) from Tinahely, on the road to Rathdrum; containing 1095 inhabitants.
This parish, which is called also Braban, and is situated on the south-eastern bank of the small river Derry , or Darragh, comprises 2089 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act: the land is good, and the system of agriculture improving.
The principal seats are Tankersley, the residence of C. Coates, Esq.; and Ballinglenn, of H. Newton, Esq., both pleasantly situated in tastefully disposed grounds, and commanding fine views of the vale of Derry and the Croghan mountain. On the townland of Ballinglenn is an extensive flour-mill belonging to Mr. Gilbert.
The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ferns, and In the patronage of the Bishop; the rectory, which is appropriate to the see, is now vested by the Church Temporalities act in the Ecclesiastical Commissioners; the tithes amount to £216 19s. 4d., of which £144. 12s. 11d. is payable to the Commissioners and £76 2s.5d. to the vicar, who also receives £20 per annum from Primate Boulter's augmentation fund. The church, handsome edifice in the early English style, with an embattled tower crowned with pinnacles, was built in 1827 by a grant of £900 from the late Board of First Fruits; and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted £120 towards its repair.
In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union of Killavany (see Kilcommon) : the chapel, a neat edifice, is situated in the small village of Annacurra.
About 80 children are taught in the parochial school, which is supported by an annual donation from the bishop and by subscription, and for which excellent school-house was built in 1825, by the late George Coates, Esq., assisted by a grant from the late Commissioners of Education.
In the grounds of Ballinglenn two urns of clay were dug up in 1832, containing human bones; the larger was broken to pieces, but the smaller is now in the possession of J. Farran, Esq., of Rathgar. There is also a rath in this townland; and in the grounds of Tankersley is a well, dedicated to St. Moab, and also a rath.