Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary comprises of several counties, cities, boroughs, parish and villages – with historical and statistical descriptions – of Ireland. Here are From-Ireland.net’s records for Co. Wicklow.
ContentRATHSALLAGH, a parish, in the barony of UPPER TALBOTSTOWN, county of WICKLOW, and province of LEINSTER, 1 mile (S.) from Dunlavan, on the road to Baltinglass ; containing 271 inhabitants.
The parish is situated on the western boundary of the county, and comprises 1753 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act : agriculture is improving ; the principal crops are oats and potatoes. It belongs entirely to E. Pennefather, Esq., whose mansion is the only gentleman's seat, though there are several respectable farm-houses. One of the largest fairs in the kingdom is held here on Sept. 4th, for horses, cattle, sheep and pigs.
The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Dublin and Glendalough, forming part of the union of Dunlavan ; the rectory is appropriate to the Dean and Chapter of St. Patrick's Cathedral, Dublin. The tithes amount to £77. 16s. 2d., of which £49. 3s. 10.25d., is payable to the appropriators, and £25. 12s. 3.75d., to the vicar.
In the Roman Catholic divisions it is also within the union or district of Dunlavan.
In the demesne of Rathsallagh is a school, maintained entirely by the Pennefather family. There. is an old rath on the townland of Rathsallagh.