Dublin Street Names Beginning With B and Civil Parishes

Tell your friends about From-Ireland.net!
Email this to someoneShare on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+0Share on Tumblr0Pin on Pinterest0

EXPLANATION OF ABBREVIATIONS.

al. = alley.
ave. = avenue.
br. = bridge.
ct. = court.
la. = lane.
lr. = lower.
mkt. = market.
par. = parade.
pk. = park.
pl. = place.
qu. = quay.
rd. = road.
sq. = square.
str. = street.
ter. = terrace.
yd.
= yard.

 

A.D.C. = Artisans’ Dwellings Co.
D. K. R. = Deputy Keeper’s Report.
G. C. D. = Gilbert’s Calendar of Dublin.
G.H D. = Gilbert’s History of Dublin.
L. L. = Lord Lieutenant.
L. M. = Lord Mayor.
Cf. = confer (compare).

l.C. = loco citato (in the place last cited).
q.v.= quod vide (which see).
cr.= created.

Dublin Streets beginning with B : Dated and Explained plus the name of the Civil Parish the street was in during 1834 if given in my 1834 Dublin Directory

Bachelor’s-walk. 1728. ·lane, -quay, 1766.
From an owner of property here named Batchelor.
(Cf. Cook’s-walk, Lord Galway’s-walk.) ‘.
[This derivation seems more probable than that which would describe the quay as a promenade for bachelors. Cf. Beaux-walk, Beaux-lane.]
Civil Parish from Dublin City Directory, 1834 : Saint Mary

Back-la. (Corn-market.) 1610.
From its position at the back of the High-str. (Cf. Backquay,-also the Hind- or Behind-str., formerly at the rear of the Skinners’ -row.)
It was called in 1281 Rochel-str.,-and later Rochel-la.
Civil Parish from Dublin City Directory, 1834 :
Saint Nicholas, No’s 1-18 & 49-67 inclusive
Saint Audeon No’s 21-48 inclusive.

Back-quay. 1756.**
From its position at the back of the Quay. Now Essex-str. W., q.v.

Badger’s-la. (Duke-str.) 1756. Now Duke-la.
Civil Parish from Dublin City Directory, 1834 : Saint Michan

Baggot-str. 1773. -up. 1819. -lr. 1839. -ct. -la.
From Robert, Lord Bagod, to whom the Manor of the Rath, outside Dublin, was granted about 1280. (The Battle of Baggotrath was fought in 1649.)
It was called in 1756, The Road to Ball’s-br. In 1800 Baggot-str. up. is called Blackrock-rd.
Civil Parish from Dublin City Directory, 1834 : Saint Peter
Bagnio-la, -slip. (Wellington-qu.) 1559.
‘The watering slip of the lane called the Bagnio.’ (Gilb. Hist. Dubl., i. 370.) Now Fownes-str. lr.
Civil Parish from Dublin City Directory, 1834 : Saint Andrew
Bailey’s-row. (Summer-hill.) 1816.
Civil Parish from Dublin City Directory, 1834 : Saint Thomas
Baldwin’s-ct. (Winetavern-str.) 1766.

Ball’s-la. (Anne-str. N.) 1756.
Civil Parish from Dublin City Directory, 1834 : Saint Michan

Ball-yd. (S. John’s-la.) 1756**
From the Tennis ball court here. Cf. Tennis-ct.-lane.

NEW NEW NEW NEW NEW NEW NEW NEW

Ball-yd. (Church-str.) 1756.**

Ballybough-br. See under Bridges (Tolka).**

Ballybough-la. 1735. -road. 1854.**

Banfield-la. (City-qu.) 1833.
Civil Parish from Dublin City Directory, 1834 : Saint Mark

Bank-str. 1821-1835.
From its proximity to the Bank of Ireland (1731 to 1800 the Irish Parliament ho.), to which building the Bank removed from S. Mary’s-abbey, where it had been founded in 1783.
Now called College-str., q.v.
Civil Parish from Dublin City Directory, 1834 : Saint Andrew

Barley-fields. 1773.**
A name given to the district through which Frederick-st. N was subsequently made.

Barrack-br. See under Bridges (Liffey,- VIctoria-br.).
Civil Parish from Dublin City Directory, 1834 : Saint Paul and Audeon

Barrack-str. (Queen’s-str.) 1728.
From its proximity to the Royal Barracks (erected in 1704). In 1890 the street appears as Benburb-str., q.v.
Civil Parish from Dublin City Directory, 1834 : Saint Paul

Barrow-str. (Grand Canal-str.) 1795.
From the river Barrow, the navigation of which IS connected with the Grand Canal.
(The river Barrow is mentioned in a statute of 1537.)
Barrow street is listed in the 1834 directory but there is no civil parish named after the street – a typographical error perhaps.

Basin-la. (S. James’s-str.) 1756.
From the City Basin, constructed (near S. James’s-str.), about 1728 to supply the city with water.
Civil Parish from Dublin City Directory, 1834 : Saint James

Basin-view (N. C. R.) 1887.
From its view of the Basin at Blessington-str.
NOTE!! A street called Basin View is listed in the 1834 Directory BUT, according to this book on Dublin Street Names Basin-view on North Circular Road did not exist or was not named until 1887. Given that the book tells us that Basin-view is off N.C.R. I am listing the parish given in 1834 here.
Civil Parish from Dublin City Directory, 1834 : Saint George

Bass-la. 1822. -pL. (Denzille-str.) 1835.
Civil Parish from Dublin City Directory, 1834 : Saint Mark

Bath-la. (Temple-str. lr.) 1840.**
From the medicated Baths opened here in 1820 by Sir Arthur Clarke (1803-1887),-and continued by Sir Jas. Murray, the patentee of the Fluid Magnesia.

Bayview-ave. (North-strand.) 1840. -parade. **
From the view of Dublin Bay, which could then be had from this place.

Beaumont-ter. (N. C. R.) 1890.**

Beaux-la. 1756.
Since corrupted into Bow-la., and now called Digges-la.
Civil Parish from Dublin City Directory, 1834 : Saint Peter

Beaux-walk. 1756.**
The north side of S. Stephen’s-green (q.v.) was so called from its being a favourite promenade. (Cf. Bachelor’s¬walk,-but ?)

Beaver-str. (Mecklenburgh-str. lr.) 1811.
[Beaver-row, Donnybrook, quite a different place, was probably so called from Mr. Wright’s Hat Factory there.]
Civil Parish from Dublin City Directory, 1834 : Saint Thomas

Beck’s-la. (Mount-brown.) 1756. **

Bedford-row. (Crampton-qu.) -str. (Church-str.) 1766.
From the 4th Duke of Bedford, L.L. 1757-61.
Civil Parish from Dublin City Directory, 1834 : Saint Andrew

Beef-row. (Ormond-market.) 1833.
Civil Parish from Dublin City Directory, 1834 : Saint Michan

Behind-str. Called also Sutor-str., q.v. **
From its position behind the Skinners’• row. Cf. Back-la.

Belfast-ter. (N. C. R.) 1865. **
From Belfast, the capital of Ulster.

Belgrave. (N. C. R.) 1890. **

Bell-alley. (Golden-la.) 1766.
Civil Parish from Dublin City Directory, 1834 : Saint Peter

Bella-str. (Buckingham-str.) 1872.**

Belle-str. (Rutland-str. lr.) 1798.
Civil Parish from Dublin City Directory, 1834 : Saint Thomas

Bell’s-la. (Ely-pl.) 1832.
Civil Parish from Dublin City Directory, 1834 : Saint Peter

Bell-villa. (Camden-row.) 1845.**

Belmont-pl. 1834. (Gardiner-str. mid.) -ter. (N. C. R.) 1889.
Civil Parish from Dublin City Directory, 1834 : Saint George

Belton-ter. (S. C. R.) 1889. **

Belvidere-p1.(Mountjoy-sq.) 1794.
From the Earl of Belvidere (cr. 1756, ext. I8I4),-whose residence, Belvidere House (now the Jesuits’ College), in Great Denmark-str., faces North Gr. Geo.-str.
Civil Parish from Dublin City Directory, 1834 : Saint George

Belview. (Crane-str.) 1776.
Civil Parish from Dublin City Directory, 1834 : Saint Catherine

Benburb-str. (Queen’s-str.) 1890.**
From Benburb, in the Co. Armagh, the scene of a battle in 1646.
Formerly called Barrack-str., q.v.

Bennington-la. (Moore-str.) 1776. See Bunting-la. Benson-str. (Sir John Rogerson’s-qu.) 1795. Beresford-pl. 1791.
From the Rt. Hon. John Beresford (1738-1805), M.P. for Co. Waterford, Chief Commissioner of the Revenue (1780-1802). The neighbouring Custom Ro. was built in 1791 by his advice. [See his Correspondence in 2 vols., 1854. Cf. Eden-qu.]
Bennington lane is not listed in 1834, but Bennington pl (place) is listd and as being in the area of Moore St. Bennington place is listed as being in the Civil Parish from Dublin City Directory, 1834 : Saint Mary

Beresford-str. (King-str. N.) 1774. [Dubl. Gazette, 24 Dec.] Formerly called (Frapper- or) Phrapper-la.
Civil Parish from Dublin City Directory, 1834 : Saint Michan

Berkeley-str. lr. up. 1825.**

Berkeley-rd. (N. C. R.) 1871. **
It passes through ground marked in a map of 1796 as Royal Circus.

Bermingham-la. (Moore-str.) 1792.
Civil Parish from Dublin City Directory, 1834 : Saint Mary

Bertram’s-ct. 1305. **(Gilb. Hist. Dubl., i 329.)
Not now existing,-then near Corn-market.

Bessborough-ave. (North-strand.) -ter. 1848.
From the Earl of Bessborough, L.L. 1846-47.
Civil Parish from Dublin City Directory, 1834 : Saint Thomas

Bethel’s-ct. **

Bethesda-la. (Dorset-str.) 1792.
From its proximity to the Bethesda Church,-first built in 1784, destroyed by fire I839,-and rebuilt in 1840 (re¬opened, 13 Dec.)
Civil Parish from Dublin City Directory, 1834 : Saint Mary

Binns-br. See under Bridges (Royal Canal). **

Binns-ct. (S. Francis-str.) 1792.
Civil Parish from Dublin City Directory, 1834 : Saint Nicholas, without

Birchin-la. (Moore-str.) 1766. **

Birmingham-alley. (Meath-str.) 1766. **

Bishop-str. (Redmond’s-hill.) 1774. [Dublin Gazette, 24 Dec.]
From its proximity to S. Sepulchre’s, the residence (until about 1815) of the Archbishop of Dublin. (Cf. Dean-, Canon-, and Vicar-, streets,-Mitre-al., Chapter-ct., and Cathedral-Ia. )
Previously known as Boater-la., grt. or big, q.v.
Civil Parish from Dublin City Directory, 1834 :
No’s 1-24 inclusive Saint Peter
No’s 26-53 inclusive Saint Bride.
No mention made of No. 25

Black-dog, New-hall-market (Corn-market). 1756. **

Black-str. (Infirmary-rd.) 1886. **
From the late Gibson Black, esq. (d. 3 Jan. 1889),-one of the directors of the A. D. c., who gave this name to a street of their own erection.

Blackhall-market, -row. 1787. -str. 1789. -pl. 1822. -par.
From Sir Thos. Blackhall, L.M. 1769. Blackhall-market was formerly called the City-market.
(See Arundel-ct.)
Civil Parish from Dublin City Directory, 1834 : Saint Nicholas, without
Note: Dublin Street names lists Blackhall Market as becoming Blackhall Parade in 1822 and that it is part of the Civil Parish of St. ncholas, without. The Dublin City Directory lists Blackhall parade as being a separate street to Blackhall Market and that Blackhall Parade was part of the Civil Parish of Saint Paul.
In 1834, there was also another street called Blackhall-place which is not listed in the Dublin Street Names book and this was also part of the Civil Parish of Saint Paul.

Blackhorse-la. 1756. **
From a tavern with the sign of the Black Horse?
(Cf. Whitehorse-yd. and Redcow-la.)
In a map of 1796, the sth.-east end appears as Aughrim-str., q.v.

Blackmore-yd. 1756. **
From a tavern with the sign of a Black Moor?
This thoroughfare does not now exist (not in Directory since 1787). It led from Anglesea-str. to Foster-pl., through the site of the present Royal Bank, or a little north of that site.

Blackpits. (Ward’s-hill.) 1728.
Civil Parish from Dublin City Directory, 1834 :
East side, Saint Nicholas, without
West side, Saint Luke

Blackpost-yd. 1756. **

Blaquiere-br. See under Bridges (Royal Canal).**

Blenheim-str. (Talbot-str.) 1800.
The northern portion has been built on (Carolin’s Buildings, 181O),-the southern portion is now known as Northum¬berland-sq., q.v.
Civil Parish from Dublin City Directory, 1834 : Saint Thomas

Blessington-str. (Dorset-str. up.) 1795. -pl. 1818. -ct.
From the Earl of Blessington, cr. 1816, ext. 1829. (He was the eldest s. of the Rt. Hon. Luke Gardiner (1745-98), cr. Baron Mountjoy, 1789, and Viscount Mountjoy, 1795• Cf. the neighbouring Gardiner-str. and Mountjoy-sq.)
Civil Parish from Dublin City Directory, 1834 : Saint Mary

Blind-quay [not on the riverJ. 1639. -Ir. 1674. -up. 1697.
Now known as Exchange-str. lr. and up., q.v. (Cf. Great Britain-quay, a thoroughfare not on any river or canal.)
“Exchange street” Civil Parish from Dublin City Directory, 1834
No’s 1-20 and 18-19 inclusive Saint Andrew
No’s 11-17 inclusive Saint John
No’s 23-45 inclusive Saint Anne

Bloody-br. See under Bridges (Liffey,-Victoria-br.).

Bloomfield-ave. (S. C. R.) 1839. -pk. **

Blueboar-alley. (S. Werburgh-str.) 1766. **

Bluehand-ct., -la., -yd. (Pill-ln..) 1837. **

Blythe’s-ave. (Church-road.) 1866. **

Boater-la. grt. 1728. **[Also spelled Booter and Butter.] From the Irish bothar,a road (dim. bohereen)? (~f. Stoney¬batter, Booterstown, and Cow-booter-la., Howth. See Joyce, i. 44-46.)
Now Bishop-str. (since 1774, Dublin Gazette, 24 Dec.), q.v.
Civil Parish from Dublin City Directory, 1834
No’s 1-24 inclusive : Saint Peter
No’s 26-53 inclusive Saint Bride

Boater-la. lit. (Exchequer-str.) 1766. **
Now Drury-str. (formerly Drury-la.), q.V.
Drury Lane : Civil Parish from Dublin City Directory, 1834 Saint Bridget

Bobbet’s-la. (Constitution-hill.) 1833.
Civil Parish from Dublin City Directory, 1834 Saint Michan

Bolton-ct. (Skinners’-row.) 1784.
From Thos. Bolton, L.M. 1716, d. 1736.
Bolton Court adjoining Bolton street: Civil Parish from Dublin City Directory, 1834 Saint Mary
Bolton Court adjoining Christ Church Place: Civil Parish from Dublin City Directory, 1834 Saint Werburgh

Bolton-str. (Capel-str.) 1724.
From the Duke of Bolton, L.L. 1717-21.
Civil Parish from Dublin City Directory, 1834 Saint Mary

Bond’s-la. (New-str.) 1728. **

Bond-str. (Grand Canal Harbour). 1833.
From Sir Jas. Bond., a wealthy Anglo-Indian, who in the last century built S. James-str. harbour, and other places, including Clover Hill, Clondalkin.
Civil Parish from Dublin City Directory, 1834 Saint Catherine

Bonham-str. (Bridgefoot-str.) 1792.
From Alderman Bonham, a hide-merchant.
Civil Parish from Dublin City Directory, 1834 Saint Catherine

Bonny-la. (New-str.) 1795.
Civil Parish from Dublin City Directory, 1834 Saint Nicholas, without (Bonny’s lane)

Boot-la. (The N. part of what is now Arran-str. E.) 1697.
From an inn, with the sign of the Boot.
Cf. Shoe-lane,-but in a different neighbourhood.
Civil Parish from Dublin City Directory, 1834 Saint Michan

Bor’s-ct. (Schoolhouse-la.) 1756.
From John Bor, of German origin, who in 1674 leased (from the Corporation) the City Free School, situated in School¬house-la., at the corner of this court.
The name is often corrupted into Borris-ct. and Burrowes-ct.
Civil Parish from Dublin City Directory, 1834 Saint Michael (Borris-court)

Bothe-str. 1305.
It was later called Skinners’ -row, q.v.,-and it is now called Christchurch-pl., q.v.
ChristChurch-pl:
Civil Parish from Dublin City Directory, 1834
No’s 1-9 inclusive, Saint Nicholas, within
No’s 10-21 inclsive saint Werburgh
No’s 22-24 inclusive Saint John

Boule-house-yd. (Abbey-str.) 1840. **

Bow-br. See under Bridges (Camac).
Civil Parish from Dublin City Directory, 1834 Saint James

Bow-la.
I. North (Church-str. new.) 1756.
Civil Parish from Dublin City Directory, 1834 Saint Michan
Formerly known as Loughbuoy, q.V.
2. East (Aungier-str.) 1766.
Civil Parish from Dublin City Directory, 1834 Saint Peter
A corruption of Beaux-la., q.v.
3. West (5. James’s-str.) 1756.
Civil Parish from Dublin City Directory, 1834 Saint James

Bow-str. (King-str. N.) 1728.
Properly Bowes-str.,-from John, Baron Bowes, Lord Chancellor (Sergeant, 1728; Lord Chancellor, 1761; d. 1767), who resided here in the house now known as the Night Asylum.
Civil Parish from Dublin City Directory, 1834 Saint Michan

Bowes-la. (Marrowbone-la.) 1840. **

Boyne-str. (Cumberland-str. S.) 1770.
Civil Parish from Dublin City Directory, 1834 Saint Mark

Boyne-str. -grt. 1800. (Grand Canal Docks.)
This street appears bid out in a map of 1800, intersecting Barrow-str.,-but it has never been made.
Civil Parish from Dublin City Directory, 1834 Saint Mark

Brabazon-str. (Coombe.) 1766. -row. 1775. -sq. 1882.
From Brabazon, the surname of the Earl of Meath. Cf.
Ardee-str., q.v.
Brabazon-str. was formerly called Truck-str., q.v. Brabazon-sq. was so named by the A. D. C.
Civil Parish from Dublin City Directory, 1834 Saint Luke

Bracken’s-la. (Townsend-str.) 1833.
Bracken’s row is listed in the 1834 Dublin City Directory and the Civil Parish from this Directory is Saint Mark

Bradoge-la. (S. Mary-la.) 1756.**
From the Bradoge river, which rises in upper Cabragh, and enters the Liffey at Arran-str. E. (Cf. Channel-row.)
Now called Littlegreen-str., q.V.

Brady’s-row. (Paradise-row.) 1832.
Civil Parish from Dublin City Directory, 1834 Saint Mary

Braithwaite-str. (Pimlico.) 1756.
Civil Parish from Dublin City Directory, 1834 Saint Catherine

Brazill-ct. (Winetavern-str.) 17-. **
From Richard Brazill, plumber, living in 1763 at 12 Wine¬tavern-str. (Hughes’s S. John, 135.)
This is now the entrance to the Corporation yard.

Breffni-ter. (5. C. R.) 1890. **

Brewery-yd. (Gloucester-str. lr.) 1840.**
The houses were taken down in I889,-and on their site, part of the Asylum for Female Penitents has been erected.

Brickfield-la. (Cork-str.) 1756. -str. 1766. **

Bride’s (S.)-alley, str. See S. Bride’s-alley, -str. Bridewell-br. ?ee under Bridges (Liffey,-Queen’s-br.). Bridewell-la. (Queen’s-str.) 1756. **
From the Bridewell in Smithfield.
Civil Parish from Dublin City Directory, 1834
No’s 10-27 inclusive Saint Bride
No’s 1-9 and 28-36 inclusive Saint Nicholas, without

 

BRIDGES: – There are no houses on the bridges so I will not be trying to indicate the parishes they lie in
1. BRIDGES OVER THE LIFFEY (proceeding from the mouth)
1. Butt-br. (Beresford-pI.) 1879.
From Isaac Butt, M.P., Q.C. [Erected 1879.J
2. O’Connell-br. (Sackville-str.) 1880.
From Daniel 0’Connell, M.P.
Formerly called Carlisle-br., 1794, from Frederick Howard (1748-1825), 5th Earl of Carlisle, L. L. 1780-82. [Erected, 1794; rebuilt, I880.J
3. Wellington-br. (Liffey-str.) 1816.
From the Duke of Wellington, who won the battle of Waterloo in 1815.
Popularly called the Metal- or the Iron- br.,¬from the material of which it is made.
[Erected in lieu of a ferry, 1816, by Alderman Beresford and Mr. Wm. Walsh, at a cost of £3,000. (See an article on Our Only Toll Bridge, in the Evening Telegraph of 3 Feb., 1887•)J
4. Grattan-br. (Capel-str.) 1875.
From the Rt. Hon. Henry Grattan (1746-1820), M.P. Formerly called Essex-br., 1697, from Arthur Capel, Earl of Essex, L.L. 1672-77.
[Erected, 1676; rebuilt, 1755; again rebuilt, levelled and widened, 1874.]
5. Richmond-br. (Winetavern-str.) 1818.
From Charles Lennox, 4th Duke of Richmond; L.L. 1807-13. [Erected, 1683; swept away, 1806; present bridge commenced, 1813; opened, 1816.]
Formerly called Ormond-br., 1683, from James Butler, Duke of Ormond, L.L. 1677-85.
6. Whitworth-br. (Church-str.) 1818.
From Charles, Earl Whitwortli, L.L. 1813-17. Anciently known as the Old Bridge; built by King John, 1210, and rebuilt by the Domini¬cans, 1385; the present structure was erected in 1818 ; re-balustraded, 1890.
7. Queen’s-br. (Queen’s-str.) 1776.
From Queen’s Charlotte, wife (1761) of Geo. III. (whence the neighbouring Queen’s-str.)
Erected, 1683; called Arran-br.1728,-Bridewell-br. (from its proximity to Bridewell-la., and to the Bridewell in Smithfield), 1756,-Ellis’s-br., 1766 (see Ellis’s-qu.) ;-rebuilt, 1768.
8. Victoria-br. (Watling-str.) 1863.
Erected in wood, 1670, and called Bloody-br. from a fatal affray there in 1671; rebuilt in stone, 1704, and called Barrack-br. from its proximity to the Royal Barracks (the foundations of which were laid in 1701); and rebuilt in iron in 1863, when it was opened by Queen Victoria.
9. King’s-br. (Steevens-la.) 1828.’
From King Geo. IV., and as a memorial of his visit to Dublin in 1821.
The foundation stone was laid, 12 Dec., 1827.
10. Sarah-br. (Island-br. rd.) 1791.
From Sarah, Countess of Westmoreland, whose husband was L.L. 1790-95.
An earlier br. was called Island-br., 1728.

II. BRIDGES OVER THE TOLKA (proceeding from the Liffey)
I. Annesley-br. (North-strand.)
From the Hon. Richard Annesley (a director of the Royal Canal Company in I791)?
2. Ballybough-br. 1488.
From its leading to Ballybough (which means Town of the Poor; Joyce, i. 16).
First erected by John Decer (provost of Dublin,. 1308); destroyed by a flood in 1313.
3.Drumcondra-br.
4.Glasnevin-br.
5.Finglas-br.

III. BRIDGES OVER THE CAMAC (proceeding from the Liffey) :-
1. Bow-br. (Irwin-str.) 1756.
2. Golden-br. (Inchicore-rd.)

IV. BRIDGES OVER THE DODDER (proceeding from the Liffey) :-
1. Ringsend-br. (Ringsend-rd.)
Built, 1650; rebuilt, 1729; again, 1789; and again after its destruction in 1802.
2. London:br. (Bath-ave.) Rebuilt, 1856.
3. Herbert-br. or Lansdowne-br. (Haig’s-ave.)
4. Ball’s-br. (Blackrock-rd.) 1751.
Built in last century; and called (1757) Baal’s- br.; rebuilt, 1791 ; again rebuilt, 1835.
5. Anglesea-br. (Donnybrook-rd.) Built, 1832.
6. Clonskeagh-br.
7. Milltown-br.
8. Classon’s-br.
9. Waldron’s-br. (Orwell-rd.)
Built in 1848 by Patrick Waldron, of Rathgar Ho.
10. Big-br. (Rathfarnham-rd.)
Destroyed by a.flood in 1754; since rebuilt.

V. BRIDGES OVER THE ROYAL CANAL (proceeding from the Liffey):¬
1. Newcomen-br. (North-strand.)
From Sir Wm. G. Newcomen, bart. (cr. 1781), a director of the Royal Canal Company in 1791.
2. Clarke’s-br. (Ballybough-rd.) .
From Edw. Clarke, a director in 1791.
3. Clonli:tf-br. (J ones’s-rd.)
From the adjoining tovmland of Clonliff•
4. Binns-br. (Drumcondra-rd.)
From John Binns, a director in 1791.
5. Blaquiere-br. (N.C. R.)
From the Rt. Hon. Sir John Blaquiere, bart., a director in 179 J •
6. Westmoreland-br. (Glasnevin-rd.)
From the Earl of Westmoreland, L.L. 1790-95.
7. Rei11y’s-br.
From Henry Stevens Reilly, a director in 1791•

VI. BRIDGES OVER THE GRAND CANAL (proceeding from the Liffey) :-
1. Draw-br. (Ringsend-rd.) of wood, 1791; also called the Brunswick Bascule (Irish Builder, 15 Nov., 1879, p. 350); replaced in 1857 by the present Victoria-br. (of metal).
2. Macquay’s-br. (Grand Canal:’str.)
From George Macquay, a director of the Grand Canal Company in 1791.
3. M’Kenny’s-br. (Mount-str.lr.)
From Sir Thos. M’Kenny, a director.
4; Huband-br. (Mount-str. up.)
From Joseph Huband, a director in 1791.
5. Macartney-br. (Baggot-str.)
From John Macartney, Chairman in 1791.
6. Eustace-br. (Leeson-str.)
From Colonel Chas. Eustace, M.P., Deputy Chair¬man in 1791.
7. Charlemont-br. (Charlemont-str.)
From Charlemont-str., q.v., which was here intersected by the Canal.
8. La Touche-br. (Rathmines-rd.)
From Wm. Digges La Touche, a director in 1791 (grandfather of the late Wm. Digges La Touche).
9. Clanbrassil-br. (Harold’s-Cross-rd.)
10. Parnell-br.
From Sir John Parnell, bart. (cr. 1766).
11. Camac-br. (Dolphin’s-barn.)
From Turner Camac, a director in 1791.
12. Harberton-br.
From Lord Viscount Harberton, a director in 1791.
13. Griffith-br.
From Richard Grijjith, a director in 1791 (father of the late Sir Richard Griffith).
14. Harcourt-br. (S. C. R.)
From Simon Harcourt, 1st Earl Harcourt, L.L. 1772-76.
Also called Rialto-br.

Bridge-str. (now lr.) 1317. -up. (Corn-market.) 1799.
From its proximity to the Old Bridge,-see above, under Bridges (Liffey,-Whitworth-br.)
Bridge-str. up. occupies the site of New-hall-market.
Upper & Lower : Civil Parish from Dublin City Directory, 1834 Saint Audeon

Bridgefoot-str. (Ushe.r’s-qu.) 1732.
From the Bridge-foot (the foot of the Old Bridge,-see above), the name of the residence of Sir Wm. Ussher, the younger (I610-1671), which was situated to the west of Bridge-str. lr., and which with its grounds occupied the space covered by Usher’s-quay, Usher’s-island, &c. [See Wright’s Ussher Memoirs, pp. 139, 140)
The upper or southern end of Bridgefoot-str. was called Dirty-la. (q.v.) in the early part of last century,-a name by which the whole street is still popularly known.
Civil Parish from Dublin City Directory, 1834
No’s 1-13 and 54-68 inclusive Saint Catherine
No’s 17-53 inclusive Saint Audeon

Britain-str. gr. See Great Britain-str. [From Great Britain?)
Civil Parish from Dublin City Directory, 1834
No’s 1-61 and 151-209 inclusive Saint Mary
No’s 63-104 inclusive Saint Thomas
No’s 105-149 ionclusive saint George

1824 Directory also mentions
Britain St.-Lit
Civil Parish from Dublin City Directory, 1834
No’s 1-4 and 16 1/2 -19 inclusive Saint Mary
No’s 5-16 inclusive Saint Michan

Britt’s-yd. (Cole-al. W., ‘Meath-str.) 1766. Broadstone. (Phibsborough-rd.) 1756.
(Cf. Longstone, sub Hawkins-str.,-and also Ehrenbreitstfin, opposite Coblenz.)
The M. G. W. R. was opened in 1851•

Broad-str. (Oxmantown.) 1261.** [Gilb. Cal. Dubl., i. 94•] What existing street bore this name?

Brock-la. (Great Britain-str.) 1728. **

Brown’s-a1.
1. (S. Thomas-str.) 1756.
Listed as Brown-alley in 1834. Civil Parish from Dublin City Directory, 1834 Saint Catherine
2. (Tighe-str.) Civil Parish from Dublin City Directory, 1834 Saint Paul

Brown-str.
I. S. (Weavers’-sq.) 1756. Civil Parish from Dublin City Directory, 1834 Saint Catherine
2. N. (King-st. N.) 1756. Civil Parish from Dublin City Directory, 1834 Saint Michan

Brunswick-str.
I. (N.) 1766.
Formerly called, as still popularly, Channel-rowl q. v.
Civil Parish from Dublin City Directory, 1834
No’s 1-16 and 59 to Church St., inclusive Saint Michan
No’s 18-51 inclusive Saint Paul
2. Gr. (Sth.) 1795.
Civil Parish from Dublin City Directory, 1834 Saint Mark

Brush-row. (Arran-sofr. E.) 1776
Civil Parish from Dublin City Directory, 1834 Saint Mark

Bryan-al. (Arran-str. E.) 1776.
Civil Parish from Dublin City Directory, 1834 Saint Michan : Listed as Bryan’s Alley in 1834

Buckingham-str. (Summer-hill.) 1790.
From the Marquis of Buckingham, L.L. 1782-83, 1787-90.
Civil Parish from Dublin City Directory, 1834 Saint Thomas

Buckridge’s-ct. (Ship-str. grt.) 1773. [Map.]
It was closed in 1803, when the Quartermaster General’s House was built on its site.
Civil Parish from Dublin City Directory, 1834 Saint Bridget : listed as Buckridge Court in 1834

Bull-al (5. Patrick-str.) 1680. [Par. Reg., S. Nicholas Within.] Bull-la. (Pill-Ia.) 1728.
Cf. (by association of ideas) the neighbouring Cow-Ia. [So, too, Greek-str., q.V., with Latin-ct. adjoining it.]
Civil Parish from Dublin City Directory, 1834
No’s 1-8 and 31-40 inclusive Saint Nicholas, out
No’s 9-16 and 20-30 inclusive Saint Bride
No’s 17, 18 and 19 Saint Patrick

Bull-ring. 1564. ** [Fiants.]
An iron ring that sticketh in the Corn-market, to which the bulls that are yearly baited be usually tied. [Stani. hurst, 1577,-in Gilb. Cal. Dubl., ii. 542.)

Bum bailiff’s-la. (New-str.) 1756.**
Corrupted into Fumbally’s-la., since 1792.
Civil Parish from Dublin City Directory, 1834 Saint Nicholas, without

Bunting-la. (Moore-str.) 1756. **

Burges-la. (Hay-market.) 1756.
Civil Parish from Dublin City Directory, 1834 Saint Paul : Listed as Burgess lane 1834

Burgh-quay. 1808. See Quays.
From Elizabeth Burgh, wife of Anthony Foster, Chief Baron of the Exchequer,-whose eldest son was the Rt. Hon. John Foster (1740-1828), the last Speaker of the Irish House of Commons.
Civil Parish from Dublin City Directory, 1834 Saint Mark

Burlington-pl. (Leeson-str. up.) 1848. -rd. 1849. **

Burnell’s-la. (‘By the keye.’) 1573.** [Gilb. Cal. Dubl., ii. 85.] From Henry Burnell, recorder, 1873?

Butt-br. See Bridges (Liffey).

Butter-la. 1577. **See Boater-la. [Gilb. Cal. Dubl., ii, 119.)

Butter-market. 1713.
Cf. cattle-, corn-, egg-, fish-, fruit-, hay-, markets.

Byrne’s-hill. (Ardee-str.) 1792.
Civil Parish from Dublin City Directory, 1834 Saint Catherine

Byrne’s-la. (Swift’s-row.) 1756.
Civil Parish from Dublin City Directory, 1834 Saint Catherine

 

Link to this post:

<a href="http://www.from-ireland.net/dublin-streets-b-letter-parish-ireland/">Dublin Street Names Beginning With B and Civil Parishes</a>

Tell your friends about From-Ireland.net!
Email this to someoneShare on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+0Share on Tumblr0Pin on Pinterest0