The following list is from the ‘Archaeological Survey of County Wexford’. It should be of use to any genealogical researcher regardless of whether or not they ever visit Ireland in that it names those churches which are considered to be or have been parish churches for an area giving the townland that the church was located it. It also gives some indication of whether or not there was a graveyard associated with the church, as well as graveyards that were not located in the grounds of a church. Plus, it gives us some idea of the period churches were in use.
Some graveyards in the countryside have no evidence or record of an ecclesiastical origin, but as the Church controlled burial throughout the Middle Ages it is possible that they had a church at one time. Simple burial grounds could also have existed from the introduction of Christianity. In some parts of the country infants and the stillborn were buried in separate, unmarked graveyards, called ‘Killeens’. These are quite rare in Co. Wexford and are only known through local traditions.
OS 14:10:2 ‘Grave Yard’ Graveyard Rectangular graveyard (dims. c. 80m E-W; c. 40m N-S) defined by a stone wall. Burial dates from c. 1720 and graveyard is probably just outside outer enclosure of the early monastic church of Templeshanbo
BALLOWEN or RAMSFORTPARK
OS 7:9:4 Graveyard (site) Marked ‘site of graveyard’ on 1841 OS 6-inch map and local traditions of same. Not visible at ground level. St Michael’s Well, a natural spring, located c. 170m to S .
OS 35:16:2 ‘Grave Yard’ Graveyard Marked on 1841 and 1940 OS 6-inch maps. Rectangular area (int. dims. 34m NW-SE; 31m NE-SW) defined by earthen bank. Graves date to nineteenth and twentieth century. Two stones with chamfer and rebate, possibly from the doorway of a church.
OS 31:8:4 Children’s burial ground. Small cairn of stones including quartz stones (diam. 4m). Local tradition of use as children’s burial ground.
OS 16:10:4 Graveyard ( site) Marked as a small triangular graveyard only on 1840 OS 6-inch map. Not visible at ground level.
OS 27:14:5 Graveyard (site) Marked ‘Moneyboy burial ground’ on 1841 OS 6-inch map and visible in 1978 as a slightly raised trapezoidal area (dims. 24m E-W; 2-8m N-S) with no evidence of burial. Not now visible at ground level.
OS 6:9:4 ‘Brideswell Burial Ground’ Graveyard Triangular graveyard defined by earth and stone bank with nineteenth-century gravestones. Brides Well, now covered, c. 300m to NW with remains of conjoined masonry circular huts (diam. 4.5m) adjacent. ‘St Brigid’s Track’, a stone basin (dims. 0.4m x 0.2-0.3m; H 0.15m) within one hut.
OS 3:16:4 Graveyard (site) Described as ‘site of Templesillagh’ on 1841 OS 6-inch map. Not visible at ground level.
OS 3:11:5 Graveyard (site) Marked ‘site of graveyard’ on 1841 OS 6-inch map, the tradition still persists but there are no visible remains at ground level. St Michael’s Well, a natural spring, located c. 170m to S.
OS 45:13:5 Graveyard (tradition) Slightly raised rectangular area (dims. 22m N-S; 17m E-W; H 0.3-0.6m) with tradition of use as a graveyard.
OS 19:13:1 Graveyard (site) Marked faintly as ‘site of graveyard’ on 1841 OS 6-inch map. Not visible at ground level.
GRANGE (Bannow ED)
OS 45:12:2 ‘Grave Yd. (disused)’ Graveyard Raised sub circular area (dims. 18m NW-SE; 16m NE-SW) defined by scarp (H 0.4-0.7m). No visible structure or burials at ground level.
OS 15:1:5 Children’s burial ground Small cairn of quartz stones (diam. 1.2m) on slight rise in ‘Relig field’. Strong local tradition about burial of infants.
OS 7:9: 1 ‘Burial Ground (disused)’ Graveyard ( site) Land has been reclaimed and headstones buried. Bullaun stone recorded on 1940 OS 6-inch map but no trace of it now.
OS 7:4:3 Graveyard (site) Marked as ‘site of graveyard’ on 1841 OS 6-inch map. Farmhouse now on site. Site of Toberpatrick Well c. l00m to S.
OS 6:5:6 ‘Kilcorkey Burial Ground (Disused)’ Graveyard Sub circular area defined by earthen bank with external stone cladding (dims. 40m E-W; 37m N-S). Eighteenth- and nineteenth-century graves. No indications of a church.
OS 15:7:1 Children’s burial ground Local tradition of burial of infants on site. Not visible at ground level.
OS 11:11:6 ‘Grave Yard’ Graveyard D-shaped graveyard (dims. 62m NE-SW; 45m NW-SE) defined by straight stone-clad earthen bank at roadside at NW and curved stone-clad earthen bank elsewhere. No knowledge of any church and no visible remains of such a structure at ground level.
OS 14:4:2 ‘Crishoge (Infants’ Burial Ground)’ Children’s burial ground Triangular area in corer of field (dims. 25m N-S; 14m E-W) now planted with trees.
Churches and Graveyards of County Wexford:
- Early Ecclesiastical Remains, Co. Wexford
- Medieval Churches, Co. Wexford
- Medieval Monastic Remains, Co. Wexford
- Estate Churches, Co. Wexford
- Post-Medieval Churches, Co. Wexford
- Children’s Burial Grounds, Co. Wexford
- Other Churches, Co. Wexford