Other Churches, Co. Wexford

Tell your friends about From-Ireland.net!
Email this to someoneShare on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+27Share on Tumblr0Pin on Pinterest0

The following list is from the ‘Archaeological Survey of County Wexford’. It should be of use to any genealogical researcher regardless of whether or not they ever visit Ireland in that it names those churches which are considered to be or have been parish churches for an area giving the townland that the church was located it. It also gives some indication of whether or not there was a graveyard associated with the church, as well as graveyards that were not located in the grounds of a church. Plus, it gives us some idea of the period churches were in use.

The placenames are listed alphabetically:

ACLAMON
OS 34: 16:5 ‘Church (Site of)’ Marked as ruined building and described ‘site of Church’ on 1841 OS 6-inch map but not visible then. No visible remains of structure, enclosure or burial at ground level.
29-7-1988

BALLYLANNAN
OS 40:16:4 ‘Church (Site of)’ O’Donovan recorded that E gable of church was standing. Slightly sunken area (dims. 10m N-S; 7m E-W) and some dressed stones mark church site. No evidence of enclosure or burial.
6-10-1988

BALLYMOTY MORE
OS 20:16:2 ‘Church (Site of)’ Marked ‘Church (Site of)’ on 1841 and 1940 OS 6-inch maps. No visible remains at ground level.
13-9-1987

BALLYNURE
OS 22:9:3 ‘Church (Site of)’ Marked as the site of a church on 1841 and 1922 OS 6-inch maps. No visible remains of structure, enclosure or burial at ground level. Holy well, a natural spring of which nothing is known, lies c. 100m to E
13-10-1987

BATTLESTOWN
OS 44: 12:3 ‘Templeboy (Site of)’ Marked ‘site of Templeboy’ within small faintly marked circular enclosure on 1841 OS 6-inch map. No visible remains of structure, burial or enclosure at ground level.
17-10-1988

CLONLEIGH
OS 30:3: 1 ‘Church (Site of)’ Rectangular structure (L c. 20m; Wth c. 8m) defined by low earthen bank survived in 1950s. Not visible at ground level.
1-7-1988

GARRAUN LOWER
OS 25:1:1 Church (site) Marked faintly as circular enclosure and described ‘site of chapel’ on 1841 OS 6-inch map. Local information places site c. 300m to E. No visible remains of structure, enclosure or burial at ground level. Bullaun stone lost since 1940s.
17-8-1987

GLENGLASS
OS 18: 16:3 ‘Killeen (in ruins)’ Marked only on 1925 OS 6-inch map. O’Donovan records that small church once existed on site. Church site thought to be slightly raised area (dims. c. 10m NW-SE; c. 6m NE-SW). St Anne’s Well, now covered in, nearby.
30-7-1987

GRANGE LOWER
OS 18:15:3 ‘Church (Site of)’ Described ‘Church (site of)’ on 1841 OS 6-inch map. No visible remains of structure, enclosure or burials at ground level.
18-8-1987

HOLMESTOWN LITTLE
OS 37:9:1 ‘Church (in ruins)’ Marked ‘Church (in ruins)’ on 1841 OS 6-inch map. Cairn material removed in 1980s leaving vegetation mark of rectangular enclosure (dims. 20m N-S; 15m E-W).
22-9-1988

KILBRIDE
OS 26:8:3 ‘Church (Site of)’ Marked ‘church (site of)’ on 1841 and 1940 OS 6-inch maps. No visible remains of structure, enclosure or burial at ground level.
20-10-1987

KILCARBRY
OS 26:5:5 ‘Church (site of)’ Marked as site of church and holy well on 1841 and 1940 OS 6-inch maps. Not visible at ground level. Nineteenth-century granite doorway in nearby mill may have come from site. Site of well immediately adjacent.
3-10-1987

KILDERRY
OS 41:13:2 Church (site, tradition) Local tradition of the former existence of a church and well. No visible remains of structure, enclosure or burial at ground level.
9-9-1988

KILMACOT
OS 27: 12:2 ‘Church (site of)’ Marked ‘Church (site of)’ on 1841 and 1924 OS 6-inch maps. Raised rectangular stony area (dims. 17.5m NE-SW; 16.5m NW-SE; H 0.7-1.3m). No evidence of structure or burial.
22-10-1987

KNOCKBINE
OS 41:14:4 Church (tradition) Local tradition of the former existence of a church. No visible remains of structure, enclosure or burial at ground level.
3-12-1988

SHELBAGGAN
OS 45:1:4 ‘Church (Site of)’ Marked as rectangular building within small oval enclosure on 1841 OS 6-inch map and described ‘Church (in Ruins)’ . No visible remains of structure, enclosure or burial at ground level. Bullaun stone on site. St Agatha’s Well c. 200m to SW.
26-10-1988

TEMPLENACROHA
OS 30:7:5 ‘Church (Site of)’ Marked’ Site of Church’ on 1841 OS 6-inch map. Small triangular area with no visible remains of any structure, enclosure or burial at ground level. Millstone found on site.
27-6-1988

TEMPLESHELIN
OS 30: 12: 1 ‘Church (Site of)’ Church extant within small enclosure on 1841 OS 6-inch map. No visible remains of structure, enclosure or burial at ground level. Site of Templeshelin Well nearby.
27-6-1988

TULLYCANNA
OS 41: 14:5 Church (tradition) Local tradition of former existence of a church. No visible remains of structure, enclosure or burial at ground level.
14-9-1988

Churches and Graveyards of County Wexford:

Link to this post:

<a href="http://www.from-ireland.net/other-churches-wexford/">Other Churches, Co. Wexford</a>

Tell your friends about From-Ireland.net!
Email this to someoneShare on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+27Share on Tumblr0Pin on Pinterest0