The Diocese of Ardagh (Church of Ireland) covered mainly counties Leitrim and Longford, but also parts of Cavan, Roscommon, Sligo and Westmeath. Up to 1692 it was a separate Diocese, from 1692-1751 it was held by the Protestant Bishop of Kilmore; from 1751-1839 by the Archbishop of Tuam and then in 1839 it was united with the Diocese of Kilmore.
The Church of Ireland Diocese of Ardagh did not equate with the Roman Catholic Diocese of Ardagh. Wills and Deeds were administered as per the boundaries of the Church of Ireland Diocese.
Most Irish wills and deeds which had been lodged with the Public Records Office of Ireland in Dublin pre 1904 were destroyed during the fire in the Four Courts in 1922. Wills had howver been indexed and some of these indexes survived in whole or in part. The information contained on these pages is from the Index to the wills of the Diocese of Ardagh. In some instances there is no address or date given. The palcename spellings may vary. In those cases that a placename was given but no county, then some attempt has been made to identify the county based on that listed for some other entry with that placename in the index, or on a phonetic variation of that placename listed in the 1851 Townland Directory. Where for example a civil parish was listed and no county then the county name has been entered in these tables based on where that civil parish covers. Assumptions have been made in order to try and identify counties for placenames and these assumptions may be incorrect. However, given the variations in placename spellings and the difficulty that researchers have in identifying townlands in Ireland it has been thought best to include these assumptions. Where there is a county in any of these tables marked with an asterix * then this indicates that the county was not actually listed in the original.
|Sally||Armstrong||Terlicken alias Lacken||Longford||1834|